Contemporary voice & musical theatre
Whether you are a complete beginning singer or have been singing for many years we can help you achieve your vocal goals. Our approach is cutting edge using a scientific, contemporary approach which is the standard used by major Pop and Broadway recording stars. Our technique provides the kind of singing power and control that is found on TV shows such as The Voice, American Idol, America's Got Talent, and The Four.
- Learn how to sing with consistent pitch and power. We get you singing safely and quickly.
- Develop your "mix" sound which is where most great songs are sung.
- Learn how to effortlessly transition from chest voice to mix to head voice.
- Develop your "belt" sound which is especially important if you love musical theater.
- Extend your singing range and control dynamics (soft and strong vocals).
- We can help you change the tone or timbre or simply expand your tonal and singing possibilities
- We can also help fix your voice if you are a current singer.
- Here are a few of the issues we can address: straining, throat soreness, yelling, too breathy, inadequate breath, flipping into falsetto, too bright or too dark sounding, low confidence
We offer 30 and 60 minute singing lessons for contemporary voice training including pop, rock, musical theater, and similar styles. We can help you to sing with more power, control while extending your vocal range with no stress or strain on the vocal cords. Our approach typically produces immediate and positive changes to your singing.
We are happy to offer a free 20 minute voice assessment and an introduction to our method.
Our technique is for the contemporary pop or musical theater singer. We can get new students on the path to singing quickly. We can also help with auditions and any problems that experienced singers may have in general or with specific songs.
We use clearly defined directions that all students can use to help produce a more balanced and resonant sound. You may have had lessons in the past where you received vague and often confusing directions from the teacher such as "sing through the top of your head", "think down as you go up", or "bring the sound forward". We utilize current scientific understanding of vocal acoustics and harmonics. Changes are created immediately through a combination of breath control, vocal cord/fold closure, and the use of vowels to affect the resonators (throat and mouth). This is why we can get students singing right away and also why we can fix most issues that arise with experienced singers.
FAQs - Voice Lessons
What is your typical process for working with a new voice student?
- We do a quick voice assessment and give immediate feedback as far as what is going on with the breathing, cord (vocal fold) control, and resonators ( throat, mouth). Most students experience a significant positive shift in singing in the first hour lesson. This is due to the scientific approach and the system that we teach.
What education and/or training do you have that relates to teaching singing and voice lessons?
- Andrew has taken extensive training relating to the science of voice and how to truly control sound through John Henny's Contemporary Voice Teacher Academy from Los Angeles. Andrew is also certified in Vocal Pedagogy from Boston Conservatory at Berklee.
How did you get started teaching voice and singing?
Have been studying all aspects of music for over 30 years. We love performing and also teaching so its a natural progression. Voice teaching has an immediate impact. We love when I see students have a "moment" and experience an improvement.
What do you typically help students with?
- Help extend vocal range, help to sing more balanced, less stress. Fix voice problems caused by cord squeezing, pulling chest etc. Give more power to singing without strain. Create a better "mix" in higher register singing. Be able to sing with more power at the high end of the singing range without having to flip to falsetto.
Please explain some of the concepts you teach
- There are three major elements to singing; Breath Control, vocal fold (larynx) closure, and positioning and size to your resonators. The process of breathing to support singing is different than most people realize. It can be learned quickly and can create a dramatic improvement to one's vocal quality and resonance. Vocal cord control is more subtle but essential in ensuring that we produce a sound that is neither strained nor too "breathy". Manipulating our resonators ( ie mouth) through vowel adjustments when singing is something many students are not taught. This is a cutting edge concept and allows singers to navigate through challenging song sections with ease.
- We are happy to offer a free 20 minute voice assessment along with some tips and an introduction to our method.
- $60 per lesson (1 hour) or three lessons for $150 (prepaid).
- We look forward to working with you! Please contact me so we can start on the path to fun, effortless, and powerful singing.
- No experience necessary. Everyone can sing!
Please check our Norwalk Voice Lesson Thumbtack reviews at the link below. Thank You!
- What a great vocal teacher! I learned so much from just one lesson!!!
- Awesome experience with Andrew.
- First time ever with a vocal instructor one on one, and it was the best choice I could've ever made, especially with Mr. Andrew. He was quick to find exactly what I needed to improve and taught in 1 hour something I have been struggling with for more then 15 years! Very humble, very professional and most important patient.
- Great news! I was able to get the part of Angel in my college production of Rent! I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for everything.
- A great first session, Andrew has a great ability to notice and work on vocal challenges. Highly recommended!
- I had a great lesson w Andrew. Very patient and knowledgeable with a student who has never sang in his life. Looking forward to future lessons!
- Andrew is very patient & easy to work with. He picked up on things that other voice teachers missed. In addition to the abdominal breathing which is highly important, there is also vowel modification which helps in singing the line and avoiding vocal strain. Andrew will show you how to master these elements. It was also helpful that our session was recorded as I now have a reference point to further aid me in my training. Looking forward to my next lesson with him !